Tuesday 5 October 2010

Yeast Free Wholemeal bread


This was not my first attempt to make bread at home. The previous experiments were not very pleasant.. I am not sure what went wrong. Lately R and me have started experiencing trouble eating foodstuff with yeast especially bread i.e store-bought... Having said that I always crave for a toast still. So I was planning to try baking bread but without any yeast.

This one surprised me with the taste and aroma... R really liked it and most of all he could eat it without having to worry about the untoward side effects of eating usual bread. It was such a hearty yummy bread that we enjoyed it just as it was, with soups and for breakfast. R kept on saying that this was the BEST BREAD that he EVER ATE...  which was THE VERDICT for me because he is a very honest customer...


It took me 40 minutes totally to bake this bread. I added some seeds and extra virgin olive oil. I am going to try olive bread, sundried tomato bread and honey nut bread in the coming weeks...

Ingredients

Wholemeal bread flour - 3 cups
Baking powder - 4 tsps
Olive Oil - 1/4 cup
Water - 1 1/2 cups
Milk - 2 tbsps
Mixed seeds (Optional)
Salt - 1 tsp

Method


  1. Preheat the oven to 200 degC.
  2. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt and mix well.
  3. Add the seeds.
  4. Add water, oil and milk. Use your judgement to achieve the correct consistency. Dont add everything at once. See if you need more or less liquid and add accordingly.
  5. Mix everything together with hands and knead into a firm, moist but not sticky dough. (pretty much like chapathi dough but a bit more moister than that)
  6. I made it into 2 round loafs but you can use your imagination. You could even use a loaf tin.
  7. Bake it in the oven at 180 - 200 degC for about 30 minutes.
  8. To check, turn the loaf upside down (be careful not to burn your fingers) and tap it firmly. If you get a hollow sound.


Dont go by the looks... You have to taste it to believe it... :)




1 comment:

  1. Nice earthy looking bread! This kind of bread is also called Irish Soda bread where baking soda is used for rising.

    ReplyDelete