Saturday, 10 December 2011

Feta Cheese and Herb Muffins


I love farmers' markets! Fresh fruits and veg, flowers... there is always something interesting! The one near my home is every Friday and has such a variety! Last time when we visited there was this Italian lady selling cheeses and olives! We had to stop and taste them... The item of my interest was this low fat feta cheese that she gave us for tasting! I thought it was rare to see low fat items in farmers' market!!! To my surprise there was almost no difference in the taste at all to the full fat version.
We bought olives, some low fat feta cheese and pickled red peppers that were filled with spices! We came home to realise that we had bought way too much cheese. I used it in pasta for a few dinners, as a snack for a couple of times but there was still left over! I didnt want it to sit in the fridge for even a day more! So I decided to make some savoury muffins with these!

I also wanted a chance to use my brand new ceramic muffin tray! Although I didnt have muffin liners ready to use, I browsed the internet to learn how to make muffin liners with parchment paper! Little one woke up after a nap and was busy playing... I sneaked off to make these yummy bites!
The specialty of this muffin is that there is absolutely no butter at all and I added just a glug of olive oil. As usual I made this with wholewheat flour! The cheese being low fat this makes it an absolutely perfect healthy snack - or even as an accompaniment to any of your soups!!! We had this with the evening tea - who could resist such adorable muffins until dinner time!!!

I am very excited that I am sending this recipe as an entry in Nupur's event New Year - New Dish. Nupur has such a vibrant and wonderful blog and I am so happy to participate in her event!


 This is how I made them:

Ingredients (for 6 large muffins)
  • Low fat feta cheese - about 100 grams
  • Italian herb mix - 1 tsp (Use any fresh herbs as you prefer)
  • Egg - 1
  • Wholewheat flour - 2 tbsp
  • Baking powder - 1 tsp
  • Olive oil - a good glug
  • Crushed Black pepper from the pepper mill
Method:
  • Preheat the oven to 180 deg C and prepare the muffin tray with the liners.
  • In a mixing bowl whisk together the cheese, herbs, egg and the olive oil until smooth without much lumps.
  • Add crushed black pepper, flour and baking powder.
  • Give it a good mix and spoon the mix into the prepared muffin tray.
  • Bake it in the oven for about 25 - 30 minutes and until they pass the skewer test!!
  • Let them cool for a bit before taking out of the tray.
Dive in!!!!


2 comments:

  1. I like your first picture. mouthwatering... :D

    Amanda
    softandstiffpeaks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love savory muffins. This must be delicious with feta and all the herbs!

    ReplyDelete